Dhrupad: the sacred path way to God
The most sacred, pure, heroic and ancient existing form of Classical Music, the Chanting of Vedic Hymns and Mantras is a major heritage of Indian culture. The word Dhrupad is derived from ‘Dhruva’ the steadfast evening star that moves through our galaxy and ‘Pada’ means poetry. The nature of Dhrupad music is spiritual, seeking not to entertain but to induce deep feelings of peace and contemplation in the listener. Nada Yoga is the core of Dhrupad, which is the inner guide and the inner life, the dispenser of happiness to all. It is primarily a form of worship, in which offerings are made to the divine through sound or Nada. Dhrupad can be seen at different levels as a meditation, a mantraic recitation, worship and a performing art portraying a Universe of human emotions.
The alap in dhrupad is sung using a set of syllables, such as te, ta, ra, na, ri, na, etc. to articulate the melody popularly thought to be derived from a mantra: Om hari Narayan Twam Tarana Tum. Dhrupad styles have long elaborate alap, their slow and deliberate melodic development gradually bringing an accelerating rhythmic pulse. Then the composition is sung to the rhythmic accompaniment. Compositions exist in the meters (tala) Tivra (7 beats), Sool (10 beats) and Chautal (12 beats)-the composition set to the 10-beat is called a Sadra while one set to the 14-beat Dhamar is called a Dhamar.
He has received rigorous training in Dhrupad - Dhamar singing in the traditional system of Dagur-Vani under the tutelage of the Dhrupad maestros Pt. Ritwik Sanyal at Varanasi and Ustad Zia Fariduddin Dagar in Dhrupad Kendra, Bhopal under the national scholarship of Allauddin Khan Sangeet & Kala Academy, Department of Culture, M.P.
From here began his musical journey that took him all over the globe. Rajesh Sendh has been performing regularly in various prestigious music concert platforms in India & abroad as well as in All India Radio, Television and accompanying his Guru on various occasions.
- Dr Sendh has been recognized & conferred upon with honors for his outstanding performances.
- Prasar Bharti’ approved him as an 'A-Grade' artiste for Dhrupad-Dhamar singing.
- He received the ‘Junior Fellowship for Hindustani Vocal Music by the Department of Culture, Ministry of HRD, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Dhrupad Mela Committee, Varanasi has honored him as the best young dhrupad singer 2008.
- Bihaan Music, Kolkata releases the audio CD titled 'NINADA' for Dhrupad of Rajesh Sendh.
- The artiste publishes the book 'Odissi; The Third Classical Form of Indian Music'.
- He also publishes Articles in the area of Music in various International and National Journals.
- He has been imparting the art of Dhrupad to the students of global level for last 15 years.
- National Broadcasting of All India Radio - 2017
- Tansen Sangeet Samaroh - Gwalior
- Represented Indian Classical Music - Colorado, USA
- International Festival of Dhrupad - Gwalior
- International Festival of Dhrupad "Dhrupad Mela" - Varanasi every year since 2002 (14 yrs.)
- Annual Music Festival of Bhubaneswar Music Circle, Bhubaneswar - 2016
- Sea forth Centre for Culture - Mussoorie
- Veena Maharaj Sangeet Samaroh - Rishikesh
- Dhrupad Parv - Varanasi (2015 & 2016)
- Hariharnath Festival - Sonpur (Bihar)
- Dhrupad Parv - Udaipur
- Kal ke Kalakar - Mumbai
- Dhrupad Mahotsav, Jalsaghar - Kolkata
- Kuvelikar Punyatithi Samaroh - Dahod (Guj.)
- 154th Birth Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda - Ramkrishna Mission, Asansol
- Maha Shivaratri Festival - Dalla, Sonbhadra
- 'Smaran' 2015 at Bangalore, 2016 at Bhopal, 2017 at Bhopal - Sangeet Natak Academy & Dhrupad Sansthan, Bhopal
- Subah-E-Banaras – Varanasi Yr.2014 and 2018
- Represents Diesel Locomotive Works in Railway Festivals of Music held at Madurai, Secunderabad, Jaipur, Varodara, Patna,Chittaranjan, Bilaspur, Chakradharpur, Mumbai, Guwahati, Lucknow and received many awards.
- He has shared also stage with many eminent artistes.
Unlike many other great Indian artistes, Rajesh Sendh born (1971) in Balasore district, Odisha does not come from a family of musicians. Rather, music is a path he found for himself and struggled very hard to overcome all the hurdles that came his way to emerge out successful with his sincerity, devotion and dedication. He began in musical pursuit at the age of 17. He received his initial training in vocal music under the Gurus; Sri Gopal Panda, Sri Bhikhari Bal & Sri Ramhari Das and completed the Bachelor Degree with Odissi Vocal Music from the Utkal University, Odisha. Dr. Rajesh Sendh is qualified in Hindustani Vocal Music (Bachelor, Master and Doctorate degree) from the Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
Rajesh Sendh is also known for popularizing Dhrupad all over the world. His consummate artistry has distinguished him as the living master of the Dhrupad acclaimed both at home and abroad. He has several dedicated students around the world who are making their mark on the Indian classical music front.
Dr. Sendh has been working under cultural banner as a classical singer at Diesel Locomotive Works- Varanasi, a production unit of Indian Railways.
‘Odissi’ The Third Classical Form of Indian Music (ISBN - 978-81-8457-668-9)
Ustad Zia Fariduddin Dagar and his contribution to Dhrupad (in press).
Musical Articles have been published in National and International Journals.
‘Bihaan Music’, Kolkata releases the Audio CD titled ‘NINADA’ for Dhrupad Vocal (CD-BMC-484).
Experience in teaching:
He has served as a teaching associate of the Department of Vocal Music, Banaras Hindu University, Faculty of Performing Arts, Varanasi for 3 years.
Dr. Sendh has been engaged in class work-shops for foreign as well as Indian students of Dhrupad for several times. Also has been imparting the art of Dhrupad singing to several talented Indian students as well as the students from abroad viz. Japan, Portugal, Israel, South Korea, Australia, America, England, Greece, Germany, France, Italy, Argentina, Turkey, Spain, Russia, Barcelona etc. during last 17 years.
Address for correspondence:
Dr. Rajesh Sendh
B 15 Krishna Tower
Varanasi – 221004, Uttar Pradesh, INDIA
Res: (Tele fax) +91 5422 300 006 Mobile: +91 933 533 3339 Mobile: +91 731 803 3339
Website: www.rajeshsendh.webs.com Skype: rajesh.sendh
E-mail: [email protected]
GURU: Pandit Ritwik Sanyal; The Dhrupad Maestro and trained to Rajesh Sendh under his able guidance.
Rajesh Sendh Performing Dhrupad at Seaforth Cultural Centre, Landour, Mussoorie.
Dr. Rajesh Sendh receiving the 1st Prize (center) with Smt./Sri Anita-Chandan Pandey from Sri Jay Prakash Batra, Ex. .General Manager - East Central Railway & Ex. Chairman- Railway Board at Patna .
Rajesh Sendh performing Dhrupad at Packard hall, Colorado, USA with Pandit Shrikant Mishra (the eminent Pakhawaj player) and Smt. Bindu Mishra (Tanpura player).
Rajesh Sendh receiving the Prize from the General Manager, DLW, Varanasi
Dr. Rajesh Sendh with his students from France during a work shop of Dhrupad-Dhamar at Varanasi.